How to Help

Sign the Online Petition - 2 minutes

Please sign the petition right now.  It only takes a minute or two, and it helps so much.

Attend a City Council Meeting by Email - 5 minutes

If you are unable to attend a City Council meeting, you can send a letter to Margaret Wimberly,  City Clerk at All letters sent to her for the public comment section will be added to the minutes of the council meeting and placed on the dais for all council members to see.  In your email, please state that you would like the letter to be posted for the public comments section of the next City Council meeting, and then provide the full text of your letter.  In your letter, you can ask the Mayor and City council to please stop the rezoning of the golf courses, and talk about why you are opposed to it.  You can save your letter in your email Sent folder, and resend it every two weeks to have it placed into the minutes of the next meeting.

Write a Letter to the Editor - 5 minutes

If you would like to make your voice heard and reach out to other members of the community expressing your opposition to the proposed golf course rezone, you can write a letter to the editor of our two local papers, the Brentwood Press and the East Bay Times. It is very easy and doesn't take much time at all! Here's how:

For the Brentwood Press - click on this link:

Brentwood Press - Letter to the Editor

and simply fill out the required form and type your letter in the space provided. It says a max of 250 words, but it will let you go a bit over. You should then receive an email letting you know that your submission has been received.

For the East Bay Times - click on this link:

East Bay Times - Letter to the Editor

and simply fill out the required form and type your letter in the space provided. It says a max of 150 words. You should then receive an email letting you know that your submission has been received.

Call the Mayor and City Council - 5 minutes

Please call the Mayor, City Council, and City Manager today to tell them to stop the rezone.  All members have the same phone number - (925) 516-5440. You can call this number and leave a message for all of them, regardless of conflicted status.  They are:

Robert Taylor

Vice Mayor
Joel R. Bryant (Conflicted)

Council Member
Balwinder "Bailey" Grewal (Potentially Conflicted as of 2/13/2018)

Council Member
Karen Rarey (Conflicted)

Council Member
Claudette Staton (Potentially Conflicted as of 2/13/2018)

City Manager
Gus Vina

Call the Planning Commissioners - 5 minutes

Please call the Planning Commissioners today to tell them to stop the rezone.  All of the Planning Commissioners have the same phone number - (925) 516-5405 You can call this number and leave a message for all five Planning Commissioners.  They are:

Dirk Zeigler, Chairperson

John D. Fink, Commissioner

Cyndi Hankins, Commissioner

Jodi Marfia, Commissioner

Jamie Tobin, Commissioner

Get notified when the plan is presented to the city - 5 minutes

Send an email to city staffers to be placed on the list to receive important updates about the rezone request.  You can send one email to both email addresses, so this is a quickie.  These gentlemen are excellent resources if you have any questions about how the city processes these types of requests, and also if you have any questions in general about how the city government works.  Send your email to:

Casey McCann, Director of Community Development 

Erik Nolthenius, Planning Manager

Attend a City Council or Planning Commission Meeting - 30 minutes

The strongest statement we can make to the City is to show up in person for City Council and Planning Commission meetings. They are accustomed to very light attendance, so it makes a real impression when a number of concerned citizens appear before them to make a statement.  The best thing is to make a comment in the Public Comments at the beginning of each meeting.  You can have up to five minutes to say anything you want to say to the City.  They will not respond, they can only listen.  But they will hear you.  To make a comment, you need to fill out a form you will find on the back counter, to your right as you walk in the room.  Fill out the form and  hand it to the City Clerk.  For those not comfortable speaking, it is enough to just be there in the audience.  One of the speakers might ask for a show of hands at some point for those who oppose rezoning, so you can show your concerns that way.

You can also make a little sign that you can hold in your lap that simply says "No Rezone" or anything you like.  (If you still have the large format mailer the golf courses sent to you, you can write your message on the back of the envelope and hold that up.  It's the perfect size, and the folded up poster inside gives it some stiffness so it doesn't flop over.)

It takes less than ten minutes to get over to City Hall. Take Balfour towards downtown, left on Walnut, right on Oak, left on Second, and turn right behind the Civic Center to go into the parking garage. Park on the second floor (there is usually plenty of parking), go through the stair well, turn right to walk along the front of the building. Go through doors near the end of the walkway, walk through the lobby, the Council Chambers are on the left.

Planning Commission meetings are scheduled on first and third Tuesdays at 7:00 pm. City Council meetings are scheduled on second and fourth Tuesdays at 7:00 pm. There is no meeting if the month has a fifth Tuesday. The Public Comments work the same for both meetings.

Check the calendar before leaving to go to the meetings, as they are sometimes subject to last minute cancellation. The calendar for Brentwood city events is here:

City of Brentwood Calendar

If you cannot attend, you can still be heard:

Attend a City Council Meeting by Email